Official “Southern Showdown Ireland” Southern Comfort Cocktail Competition 2017
Terms and Conditions
- Only open to residents of Ireland & Northern Ireland aged 18 or over, excluding employees of Hi-Spirits Ltd.
- Entries should be submitted online at the following link: www.hi-spirits.com/southernshowdownireland
- Enter between 00 on 4th May and by 23.59 on the 29th June 2017 (“Promotional Period”)
- No purchase necessary, however cocktails need to include at least 35.5ml of Southern Comfort Original 35%ABV.
- One entry per person during the promotional period, maximum of three entries per venue.
- Entries must meet the entry criteria and abide by the rules of the competition.
- Entries must be in the form of a long or short drink containing a minimum of 35.5ml of Southern Comfort.
- All entrant’s drinks must be entered with full specifications and photographs and answer the two submission form questions.
- Any images submitted must have been created and owned by you, the entrant. Any ideas or recipes submitted in whatever form must be the sole and unique work of you, the entrant.
- Participants must submit a recipe for a Southern Comfort Cocktail and explain the rationale behind their submission.
- Each entries venue of employment must stock and sell Southern Comfort.
- The Final will be held in Dublin on July 17th 2017 Organisers reserve the right to change this date due to any unforeseen circumstances.
- Successful candidates will be invited to showcase their entry at The Final.
- At the Final, each competitor must make two drinks in front of the judges:
i – First drink to the exact recipe submitted at entry.
Ii – The Second drink required will be a ‘true New Orleans staple cocktail’ and announced alongside those invited to take part on Thursday 6th July.
If The Final competitors cannot be clearly determined after their initial entry, Hi-Spirits representatives will visit entrants to confirm who will go through, all entrants must be prepared for this occasion.
- Prizes: The 1st place winner will be given a ticket to New Orleans, and will join the winners of the UK Southern Showdown over there. We will also have one extra ticket as wildcard for ‘Best Social Campaign’ (of those taking part in The Final).
- 2nd and 3rd place will win a personalised Southern Comfort bar kit.
- Prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for any alternatives in whole or in part. The promoter reserves the right to provide an alternative prize or reward (as applicable) of equal or great value in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
- Entries must be submitted no later than 59 on the 29th June 2017.
- Successful finalists will be informed no later than Thursday 6th July 2017.
- The Final in Dublin will take place on 17th July 2017
- Recipes must contain a minimum of 35.5ml Southern Comfort.
- Ingredients may be measured using a jigger or similar measure or freely poured.
- Recipe entered must be available when requested at the individuals place of employment.
- All finalists must have their recipe featured in their venue.
Drinks & Preparation
- For the Final the drink(s) must be assembled in front of the judges to show technique and ingredients.
- Competitors must supply their own bartending utensils (shaker, bar spoon, strainer etc.) and any specialist ingredients or modifiers. Competitors must bring all glassware, props, liqueurs, juices and any other element of their cocktail.
- Only Southern Comfort and ice will be provided.
- Cocktails may be presented in any shape of glass, cup or other hygienic and safe receptacle. Note; points are awarded for presentation.
- Drinks may be served straight-up, or over cubed, cracked or crushed ice.
- Winners of Stage One will be selected by: All drinks entered online for the competition will be judged and scored with the following criteria and weighting – highest scoring entries will be selected for the Final.
||Total 100 Points
|Answers to set questions
- Winners of Stage Two will be selected by: All drinks presented in The Final will be judged and scored with the following criteria and weighting:
||Total 100 Points
- An additional 25 bonus points can be awarded to each individual participating in the for venue and social media contribution:
- In Venue Promotion – (maximum of 15 bonus points) are available for competitors who wish to promote their cocktail in their venue between dates of submission and regional finals. Bespoke menu inserts or feature boards are available on request. Examples:
- Menu listing: 15 points
- Feature – insert / board: 10 points
- Social Media Posts – (maximum of 25 bonus points) will be given for social media posts during the competition period
- 2 points will be given for each post relating to the cocktail or venue with the tag #SouthernShowdown17
- Further points based on social media content can be awarded at the Judge’s discretion
- The competition organisers reserve the right to have the final decision on any matter relating to the judging of the competition.
- The competition organisers will appoint the panel of judges and reserve the right to replace or appoint new judges before or during the competition.
- The judges must remain impartial.
- The promoter accepts no responsibility for late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupted or misdirected entries.
- If an entry has been created by more than one person, entrants must pick only one person to be the entrant. The Promoter will assume that this person is empowered to act and respond on behalf of all those involved in the specific submission.
- Competitors must conduct themselves in a safe manner and any action considered by the organisers to endanger fellow competitors, judges or spectators will result in instant disqualification and possible ejection from the venue.
- Competitors are encouraged to talk to the judges while making their drink.
- While every reasonable effort will be made, the competition organisers cannot guarantee the safe return of glassware, equipment or any product supplied by a competitor. Therefore, competitors are advised to house their tools and product in bags/boxes which enable them to efficiently gather and hold their equipment and ingredients immediately after competing.
- By entering this competition, competitors agree to assign copyright of their recipe and drink name to the competition organisers. Competitors and drinks presented during the competition may be photographed (still or motion picture) by the organisers and copyright of these images for any use, including advertising, will be retained by the competition organisers.
- If any photo or video contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and / or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and / or if any persons appear in the photo, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photo, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photo in the manner described in these terms and conditions without additional compensation. Failure to procure, or be able to supply on demand, any such releases or consents may result in the photo being declared invalid.
By entering this competition, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.